22 April 2011

Biscuit Casserole

So, I randomly got a craving for a dinner I had once about 7 years ago, and even then it was one of those deliciously unhealthy dinner-in-a-box things.  I scoured the internet for recipes for this homemade chicken and biscuit casserole, and with help from James and Justin I was able to find a suitable recipe to base it off of.  I left the chicken out, added extra vegetables and made the biscuits half wheat flour.  Come on.  Who are you talking to?



Biscuit Casserole

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1  cup chopped onion
  • 1 rib celery [I did 2 ribs]
  • 1/3 cup white flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp dried sage [I don't have sage, so I used half thyme half rosemary]
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken [omitted - used extra peas until mixture was good consistency, I would also recommend chopped potatoes]
  • 2 cups vegetables of your choice [I used a frozen bag of mixed veggies]
  • salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in medium-sized pot.  Stir in the onion and celery, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Add the flour, stirring 1 to 2 minutes.  Whisk in the chicken stock.  When it starts to thicken, whisk in the milk.  Add spices, chicken and vegetables and stir until mixture is heated through.  Remove from heat, spread in casserole dish and set aside.

For biscuit topping:
  • 2 cups flour [I did half white half wheat]
  • 1 TB baking powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup milk
Meanwhile, turn oven on to 375 degrees and begin biscuits.  Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in butter using hands.  Add the milk and stir briskly, just until the dough pulls together.
Flour your work surface, knead the dough two or three times, and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.  Using a cup or biscuit cutter, cut the dough into round biscuits and place on top of casserole, edges touching.

Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 20-30 minutes.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.


We all enjoyed it, but in retrospect I'd do a few things differently.  First off, the creamy filling wasn't quite as delicious as I thought it should be.  Suggestions?  I think it needs a bit more flavor, and might even be good a bit spicy.  Also, the biscuits weren't nearly as fluffy as I wanted them to be.  All white flour?  Biscuits from a can? Homemade rolls instead?  Those are my thoughts.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm glad you finally got around to making this dish. If you want fluffy bread then I would do rolls, but if the biscuits were close then yes, white flour should fix it. I wonder if fresh vegetables would be more flavorful? I'm sure James will have some great advise. :)

Mom said...

Use your cream of tarter recipe for the biscuits. They are fantastic! Creamed soups usually give good flavor to a dish like this, but probably aren't as healthy.