21 May 2011

Spanish Rice and 7-layer dip

These two dishes sounded like a good combination for last night.  I've made the Spanish Rice several times and love it.  It's adapted from this recipe using the comments listed on that site.  The 7-layer (actually 9 layer) dip was a first tonight but a success.  It was adapted according to my desires using this recipe.

Spanish Rice
  • 2 TB oil
  • 1 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1+ cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper [I put the whole thing in...when am I going to use the other half?]
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles [I used one can diced tomatoes, one can chopped green chiles]
  • 2 tsp chili powder, or to taste
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic.  Add rice and brown.  Stir in water, tomatoes and spices.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.


7-Layer Dip


  • 1 lb sausage [I used 1/2 lb turkey sausage]
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
  • [I added guacamole]
  • 1 (16 oz) container sour cream [I did less - one thin layer]
  • 1 (11 oz) jar salsa [I did less - a thin layer]
  • 1 (6 oz) can sliced black olives
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend [I did less - one thin layer]
  • tortilla chips [I did Fritos]
Cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat until browned.  Remove from heat and stir in beans, chiles and taco seasoning.  Spread mixture into 9x13 serving dish.  Layer in this order: [guacamole] sour cream, salsa, olives, tomato, green onion, and cheese.  Serve with chips.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Both sound yummy. I think I've made a version of the 7 layer dip, but don't remember the sausage...I'll have to look it up. We loved it!