14 October 2011

Curried Squash and Red Lentil Soup

Mom made this soup for me while she was here and it was so good.  I'm usually not a fan of non-creamy soups but I looked forward to this every time I had a bowl.  We ate it with the squash rolls I posted last year.  I had another one of those mammoth banana squashes to use up.  Love those.  I paid $3 for it and am just now using it for it's 5th dish.
I just happened to have red lentils on hand, that's why this recipe caught our attention.  Anyone know more cool stuff to do with red lentils?  I love finding new ways to use different kinds of grains that I don't usually cook with.  We didn't make the cilantro oil for the topping, but I'm sure it's lovely. 


Curried-Squash and Red-Lentil Soup
  • 3 TB canola oil
  • 2 TB butter
  • 1 1/2lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces [we used banana squash]
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, chopped,
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 TB minced peeled ginger [we used ginger powder]
  • 1 TB curry powder
  • 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • [we added some chicken bouillon at the end to make it more flavorful]
Heat oil with butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook squash, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.  Stir in curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.  Add lentils and water and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25 to 40 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Make cilantro oil: 
Purée 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender.
Serve soup drizzled with cilantro oil.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I can attest that this is a great soup recipe. We really enjoyed it!

James said...

So did we! It was amazing.