30 April 2012

Wheat Bread

A couple of you have been asking for my recipe for whole grain bread.  This is my mom's recipe that she started using after I moved away from home (sadly) but it's delicious.  I've found success with mixing in different kinds of grains (oat flour, brown rice flour, barley flour, millet flour, rolled oats, ground flax seeds, flax seeds) in various ratios.  I'm still experimenting.  Here's the basic recipe!

Mix together (in mixer):
  • 7 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup gluten
  • 2 TB dough enhancer
  • 2 1/2 TB instant yeast
All at once, add:
  • 5 cups steaming tap water
Mix for 1 minute.  Let rest 10 minutes.
Add:
  • 2 TB salt
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 2 1/2 TB lemon juice
Mix 1 minute.  Add 5-7 cups more whole wheat flour, one cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.  Knead 6-10 minutes.  Preheat oven to lukewarm (I let it preheat to 350 for 1 minute), turn off.  Turn dough onto oiled countertop, divide into four loaves and place in pans.  Place in oven and let rise 20 minutes.  Without removing, turn to 350 degrees and cook 35 minutes.  Cool on racks.

If anything is confusing, please ask!

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Thanks for publishing. Now I will be able to find that recipe. Really is wonderful bread!

Liz said...

I have never seen bread with lemon juice . . . what does it do?

Jodi said...

Lemon juice acts the same as a crushed vitamin C tablet in bread. Have you seen that?

From what I understand it helps the yeast develop which ends up making the bread offer because it has risen higher.

Jodi said...

I meant softer, not offer.