08 November 2012

Coconut-Cashew Rice

I really love this rice recipe.  I first tasted it at an international night in Relief Society.  After figuring out who made it I requested the recipe.  She posted it on our neighborhood Facebook page because so many people wanted the recipe, but I procrastinated getting it off there and then couldn't find it.  Fast forward a few months and she brought a double batch to our Relief Society rice night.  I again requested the recipe and finally made it for myself.  I don't know what took me so long.  It is FANTASTIC.  I made this for my Dad and Justin and they loved it.  Even the kids loved it.  Then I made it for Michelle and her kids and they liked it to.  It is worth a try!  I went to Winco to buy the specialty items I didn't have on hand: jasmine rice, golden raisins and cashews.  I forgot the cardamom which is probably a huge mistake, but it worked well with cinnamon and nutmeg. Really well.

Coconut-Cashew Rice
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric [my friend uses curry powder instead]
  • 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
  • 2 TB butter
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup raisins [okay, I heap my 1/4 cup]
  • 1/4 cashews [heap this too]
  • 1 tsp cardamom [1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp nutmeg is a good replacement]
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk
Combine water, salt and turmeric in medium saucepan and bring to rapid boil.  Add rice, reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, until water is absorbed.  Meanwhile, melt butter in sauté pan and sauté onion 2-3 minutes until translucent.  Add raisins, cashews and cardamom and sauté 2 more minutes.  Stir in coconut milk and cook 2 more minutes.  When rice is ready, remove from heat and fluff with fork.  Stir in onion-raisin mixture.  Moisten with a few TB of coconut milk before serving, if desired.

1 comment:

Justin said...

You all should make this. Probably the best rice I have ever had. Mind you I lived in an Asian country for two years, so that is saying a lot.