29 August 2009

Saturday morning breaksfast

I remember many a wonderful Saturday morning breakfasts. Thanks mom. A fun breakfast for everyone is doughnuts. Who doesn't love these? The problem? Who can eat these deep fried gooey marvels? I may have discovered the solution this morning. A solution you say? Yes, you may now, with a little effort, be able to eat some doughnuts. I found this at tasteofhome.com.

No-Fry Doughnuts

2T yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup shortening (toying with the idea of using applesauce, I think it would taste good)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 1/2 - 5 cups flour
1/4 cup melted butter

Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups confectioner's sugar
5 tsp water
2 tsp vanilla

In mixer or large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, and shortening; stir for 1 minute. ( I found it didn't mix really well, so I just kept on going.) Add sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2" thickness, (don't roll too thin, the thicker ones were better). Cut with any 2"ish circular cutter; place 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 35o for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for glaze, melt butter in saucepan. Add the sugar, water and vanilla; cook over low heat until smooth ( do not boil). Keep warm. Dip warm doughnuts, one at a time into glaze, and turn to coat. Drain on a wire rack with wax paper underneath. I also brushed some of mine with butter again and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar instead of the glaze. They were both wonderful. Chloe said she liked them better than store bought. I'm pretty sure she was referring to yucky walmart ones, not super yummy krispie kreme ones.

4 comments:

James said...

Um, loving it. Maybe after I hit my next weight goal I'll make some of these. I know I shouldn't celebrate with food, but I haven't found anything that tastes better yet . . .

Jodi said...

These look great! But, I'm a little scared I'd mess it up. Also, there's only two of us, and that's a lot of donuts...

Heather said...

If I can make it, anyone can. Really, I'm not making that up. It sounds lots harder than it is. I really just mixed everything together and called it good. You could always give the leftovers away. Who doesn't like doughnuts?

Mom said...

I love the new fun breakfast recipes. If I can get up early enough, I'll have to try for seminary!