09 October 2009

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

It has been raining for days and it is cold. I wanted a yummy soup, but didn't have all day. I also wanted something creamy. What I found was all of the above, plus my kids ate it. Doesn't get much better.

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces ) chicken broth (I used 2 bouillon cubes and added 2 cups water)
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 TB butter
2Tb flour
3 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 TB dried parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp each cayenne pepper, curry powder, and white pepper (I didn't have cayenne and I used regular pepper)

In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth, and bouillon. Cover ans cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes ( do not boil ). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts)

This made plenty of soup for my whole family.