02 December 2009

Black Beans and Rice

I had a bunch of black beans I needed to get rid of and we always have tons of rice, so the other day when I was looking for dinner ideas I googled and found this recipe. We had it on nachos with seasoned shredded chicken, green onions, salsa and cheese, but it would also be great with burritos. Justin liked it so much he requested it a couple of days later.

It's very simple, just my style!

Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth [I used chicken bouillon dissolved in water]
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper [I used crushed red pepper]
  • 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained [I put in two cans, I think any more would be too much]


Directions

In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.

1 comment:

Michelle Packard said...

I'm so trying this tomorrow...Thanks