28 March 2010

Ice Cream and Oatmeal

Here are some latest fruit creations of ours.

I found a quite amazing ONE INGREDIENT ice cream recipe on my friend's blog (heatherbyu.blogspot.com). You know what the ingredient is? Bananas. Yep, genius.

Directions: freeze 2 peeled bananas for every serving you desire. Use food processor to mush bananas, and there you go. It comes out surprisingly creamy and delicious. If you want to switch it up or if you have trouble with the mushing, add a little milk. You can also add a little vanilla for flavor, but really, it doesn't need any of these.

Also, did everyone already know you can make your own fruit oatmeal? I guess I just figured this one out later than most people... Here's a simple recipe, but you can switch it around to practically anything you want.

Apple Oatmeal - 2 servings
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 TB brown sugar
- dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg

Bring water to boil. Add the rest of the ingredients. Remove from heat when mixture thickens to an acceptable viscosity.

We've done this with bananas, strawberries, even grapes. If you use softer fruit, add it closer to the end, not as soon as you would the apples. It's very good and probably way more healthy than the packaged fruit oatmeal. Good luck guys!

2 comments:

James said...

I've seen that banana ice cream thing before, but I've never done it because bananas disappear so fast in our house. I'll definitely have to hoard some away one of these days.

Mom said...

I love my oatmeal with honey and raisins--a heaping teaspoon of honey and a handful of raisins added at the beginning of the process. Yummm!
I'll try that banana thing--I have some bananas in the freezer!