01 March 2010

Indian Curry

Yup, another crock potter, and you know how I like my curry. This has to be one of my all-time favourite home made recipes. It's meaty, veggie, flavourful, and it's a one-pot meal. Yummm . . .

Indian Curry
adapted from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'Dea

2 Tbsp Curry Powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1 Tbsp tomato paste
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (mine had bone and skin that I removed later)
1 (15-ounce) gan garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used red)
1/2 an eggplant, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

Combine spices, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, and tomato paste.

**I made mine the day before and marinated my chicken thighs in that mixture overnight. I'd say it was a good call on my part, but totally not necessary**

If you're not making it the day before, pour that sauce into your crockpot. Pop the chicken thighs in to the pot and turn them around a few times to coat them in that bright yellow sauce. Pour in the garbanzo beans. Wash and chop all the vegetables, then add them to the crock. No reason to stir them in, they'll cook great sitting on top. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or on high 4-6 hours. When the chicken is cooked through, gently stir it all together to combine. I also used this opportunity to break up the chicken so it was stew-like, but you could leave the thighs whole if ya wanna.

Notes to soothe your worries:

*The eggplant pretty much dissolves so you probably won't get any cries from your children about the weird veggie. If you peel it first, you'll definitely not get complaints.
*My favourite was the garbanzo beans. They were meaty, delicious, and not at all what I expected.
*You could serve this with rice, but you don't have to; we didn't.
*I didn't have quite enough curry powder and I could definitely tell the difference; it was a bit low on flavour, but definitely delicious nonetheless. Don't skimp.
*I learned that tomato paste comes in a tube that you can refrigerate. That makes a tablespoon mighty easy to use without having to store that entire leftover can in your fridge or waste it by throwing it out.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love crockpot meals and not worrying about what to fix at dinner time. I'll give these a try. By the way, what is chipotle chili powder? How does that differ from chili powder?