16 September 2010

Granola

I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa for awhile and came to love their granola, fast. Soon after I left, I called her for the recipe and was able to obtain everything I needed at Winco, in Orem.

Grandma’s Granola

  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups mixture of extras (seeds: sunflower, flax, pumpkin)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup [I used maple flavored syrup, its much cheaper]
  • 1/3ish cup oil (put 2 TB water in a 1/2 cup, and fill it up the rest of the way with oil)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon [I used more cinnamon than this, and also a bit of nutmeg]
  • coconut (optional)


Mix together ingredients (besides coconut) and bake flat on cookie sheets for 30 minutes at 275 degrees [I used Mom’s input on this and cooked it for longer, 35-40 minutes to make it crispier, and I think it’s better that way]. If desired, sprinkle coconut over the top and bake for 5 more minutes.

It is SOooooo good. Mix it with yogurt and chopped fruit and you’ll have a breakfast that always hits the spot! Plus, I love how it is so healthy - so much fiber and not too much sugar.

3 comments:

James said...

Isn't that just a great granola? I cook it to crunchy too. May favourite thing about this post is the photo of the jars. Beautiful ingredients are a kitchen's best friend!

Mom said...

I love Grandma's granola! Thanks for the recipe.

Heather said...

We also got this recipe while enjoying a visit with them in Kirtland. We love it.