14 October 2010

Pumpkins!

I've acquired a few pumpkins this year, for decoration and for eating. I've only done a few things with them so far, and am looking for good ideas. But for now, I'll show you what I've come up with. If you've got pumpkins, put them to good use.

First of all, pumpkin puree. I learned how to make this here, and it worked just great. Mine came out lighter than the example, but I can't see why that's a problem.


Second, the seeds. Clean the yucky stuff off them, rinse them in cold water, spread them out on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees, stirring once. They are delicious.


Third, soup. This recipe isn't anything to brag about, but it's good.

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup - Yield: 9 cups

  • Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained [*see note*]
  • 1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup minced shallot [omitted]
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • a 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup dry Sherry [omitted]
  • 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice [omitted]
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons Sherry vinegar [I used regular vinegar]

Garnish: sour cream and coarsely chopped lightly toasted pumpkin seeds

In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.

In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper.

Serve soup garnished with sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds.

*beans: if I haven't told you already, the rice cooker does wonders on dried beans. I discovered this in China. They will be soft as canned beans after two cycles on the rice cooker, changing the water in between cycles.


Fourth, I made pumpkin pie today and found the recipe here.

Share your knowledge about pumpkin usage! I am eager.

3 comments:

Justin said...

I just want to say my two bits about the soup...IT WAS AWESOME. Spare one of your pumpkins the savage carving ritual and MAKE THE SOUP!

James said...

This soup is the very first recipe bookmarked under my soup category. It and I have been longtime friends. :] I wish I had more pumpkin recipe, but I just don't use much fresh pumpkin! Maybe I can get them to grow better next year and I'll have a pumpkin fest.

Heather said...

There are a few in the family cookbook.