31 October 2010

Fall Favorites

Seriously, are you all bored? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

This is an alternative winter squash soup recipe. I happened to like it more, but Justin's sticking by the bisque. I like how it's less intense - less thick, less creamy and less sweet. I guess Justin is all for intensity in food. What's your food style?

Creamy Squash Soup

  • 3 cups diced winter squash
  • 1 1/2 cups diced onion
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 2 TB diced carrot
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1/4 tsp each sugar and white pepper
  • 1/8 tsp each ground cloves and mace [I left out mace because I didn't have it]
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 TB butter [I used canola oil]
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock [I used my homemade vegetable stock]
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • paprika
  • minced fresh chives [I left these out because I didn't have them]
Cook and stir vegetables, herbs and seasonings in butter 10 minutes. Add stock, cover, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. Puree, add creams and heat through; do not boil. Cool, chill and adjust seasonings [I ate it hot and cold at different times, and either works fine]. Sprinkle with paprika and chives [Justin gave me the idea to give the paprika a swirl and it looked way cooler].


I found these this season as well, made them a couple of times and they've never failed to delight. I turned these into whole wheat wonders as well and recommend it. I first made them when Marquie was over and she seemed to enjoy them. Then I made them when my sister and her son were over, and they loved them too. My sister was impressed that they were whole wheat, because you couldn't really tell, and her son loved the fun shapes (see below). Jaime even loved them, which makes me so happy! I love when she snarfs things that are 1) whole wheat and 2) have vegetables within.
Pumpkin Pancakes

  • 2 cups flour [I used whole wheat]
  • 3 TB brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp allspice [I can't seem to find this in stores, so I always substitute with a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt]
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree [I used 1-2 cups fresh pumpkin puree]
  • 1 egg
  • 2 TB vegetable oil [I used canola]
  • 2 TB vinegar

Mix together dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine. Oil griddle or pan on medium high heat and pour batter onto griddle in whatever amounts you desire. Serve hot.

If you happen to be making these for Halloween like I was, it never hurts to get out the cookie cutters and let the kids have at it. Apparently, it makes them much more appealing than regular pancakes.



I also gave these a try to use up some acorn squash and don't have anything good to say about them.

I particularly disliked the seasoning of the innards. That much parsley without any other spices just ruined them for me, but Justin likes them. So, if you've got some acorn squash and the picture looks good to you, click on the link and give it a try. If you think the parsley would be an issue for you too, switch it up to accommodate your liking of spices.

No comments: