27 October 2010

Another Laundry List

Am I boring you all now? I guess I'm the only one excited about the recipes I've been trying. I know Justin has just about had it with my obsession of taking pictures of the things I make.
Here are some fun ways to spice up this fall

First, my favorite: Spooky Chips (I came up with the title :). I found this recipe in this year's Taste of Home Halloween Edition. I used Marquie's birthday party as my excuse to make them. Aren't they so fun?
Spooky Chips
  • flour tortillas
  • taco seasoning OR salt
  • cooking spray
  • halloween cookie cutters
Press cookie cutters into a stack of about 8 tortillas (depending on how deep your cutters cut).

Separate shapes and place on greased cookie sheet. Spray shapes with cooking spray. Sprinkle with taco seasoning or salt.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.


Next, more efforts to use banana squash. This recipe was amazing. The creator of the recipe admits it's from his friend's restaurant. I made it and Justin and I agreed that it is very rich and also very filling.

Winter Squash Bisque

  • 5 cups winter squash, peeled and chopped
  • 3 TB oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped [I didn't have any, so left them out]
  • 2 apples OR pears, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cups apple cider OR vegetable stock (if using stock add 2 TB brown sugar)
  • 1 tsp asian 5 spice powder [I didn't have this, and substituted with a mixture of red pepper flakes, cloves and salt]
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup [I used maple flavored regular syrup]
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp salt and more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Season squash with salt and 5 spice powder, place on a greased cookie sheet, and bake for 30-45 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
Meanwhile, cook the onions, carrots, apples or pears in a large soup pot and season with cinnamon. Add the apple cider and roasted squash and simmer until vegetables are soft. Add syrup and cream and simmer a few more minutes. Puree the mixture and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with butter/cinnamon croutons, cinnamon sugar wontons, or drizzled sweetened sour cream.

Lastly, a final effort to discover ways to use pumpkin. I'm now content with the recipes I've found and feel confident I can use up my pumpkin reserves. I turned these into whole wheat wonders and wouldn't do it any other way. It does change the taste, but is well worth the nutritional and fibrous benefits. This recipe made 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins that I sent to work with Justin and he passed around there. They were a hit.
Pumpkin Muffins

  • 2 cups of homemade pumpkin puree
  • 3 cups flour [I used freshly ground whole wheat]
  • 2 cups sugar [I used 1 1/2 cups]
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil [I used canola, it's better for you than vegetable oil]
  • 3 eggs
Combine dry ingredients; set aside. Blend wet ingredients in a large bowl. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until smooth. Scoop batter into muffin cups or greased muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.


The best part of this recipe was how much Jaime enjoyed it, and how she showed her enthusiasm. I scooped some patter into this small glass bowl and microwaved it. Didn't know you could bake in the microwave? Think again. I gave her the bowl and she loved it. After awhile she gave up on using her hands to eat the crumbly muffin and resorted to other methods. She and I snacked on these together all day. I loved that she ate so much whole wheat!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Jodi, you and Justin and Jaime should find an excuse to come stay with me and Dad for a while again...and cook for us. Your recipes are amazing. I have a winter squash sitting on my counter, it may become bisque tomorrow night!