05 November 2010

Hummus

I know you all know how to make hummus. You've told me so. What I discovered a couple of months ago, though, is that you all neglect one of the essential ingredients in hummus.

Really people? If you're not making Hummus with Tahini, what are you thinking? Please give it a try.

I've combined a few recipes and tweaked it to my own tastes. Here's the recipe I use:
Hummus
  • 3 cups garbanzo beans, drained (reserve bean juice for blending)
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic [I usually double this]
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 sprinkles crushed red pepper
Blend in blender, adding the bean juice to get it to the consistency you want. Place in serving dish and sprinkle with paprika and parsley.



I serve it with sliced carrots, celery and cucumber. It can also be served with pita or chips. It's up to you, but it's a 100% healthy snack or side dish when served with vegetables.

3 comments:

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Oh, I keep tahini in my fridge. I just don't use it because of the calories. You also get a smoother hummus if you use olive oil instead of the bean juice, but again, calories. I make Liz call dips without tahini "Chickpea dips" instead of hummus. :)

Liz said...

It is true. I must admit that I don't care but I do try to please James when I can. :)