09 December 2010

Calzones

Okay, so this picture is totally just to make you jealous. But really, they were that good!



I want to let you know what I put in these creations. First, I should let you know that I made these for our "break the fast" meal on Sunday. They were delicious, but we only managed to eat half each!

I made a 1/4 recipe of Heather's pizza dough recipe (half white, half whole wheat), and then put together a mixture of staples and leftovers from the fridge for the filling:
  • onions
  • garlic
  • cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 a cucumber, diced
  • 1 cup lettuce, minced
  • 1/2 can corn
  • 1 shredded carrot
  • 1/3 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 cup pepperoni slices, quartered
I'm sure there were more things in there, but I can't remember them. I used any and all leftover vegetables I had in the fridge. I combined it with a homemade cream sauce (2 TB butter, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk), some leftover spaghetti sauce (1/4 cup), and a sprinkle of italian seasoning. Justin did the rolling and pinching, making sure to add shredded cheese on top of the mix before sealing. We baked them at 420 degrees until golden brown and painted with pesto from Costco.

The best part? Jaime loved it. She's starting to be a finicky eater and I get excited when I find something she'll eat a lot of. Excuse me, something HEALTHY that she'll eat a lot of. She's down with junk food.

6 comments:

James said...

I want this right now. RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW!

Yum.

Michelle Packard said...

I'm with James!!! Right now!

Mom said...

I'm guessing gooey, cheesy, italian flavored stuff is a hit in our family!

James said...

We had calzones last night as a family because of this post. I hope you're happy with yourself! They were as good as I had hoped! Thanks for planting the idea in our head!

Liz said...

Mmmm. . . They were so good! Thanks Jodi!

Jodi said...

I am happy with myself. Thanks!