23 December 2010

Pancakes and Waffles...now healthier...

I love my new wheat grinder. The great thing about it, besides the fact that it provides freshly ground wheat flour any day, any time, is that is grinds all sorts of other grains. I am now actively grinding dried corn and pursuing recipes that involve cornmeal. Know any good ones?
I have a few recipes lined up to try and today I tried the pancake recipe from this discussion board. It was delightful, and I recommend it to anyone wishing to add more grains to his or her diet. I'll sum up.

Cornmeal Pancakes
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 TB butter
  • 1/2 cup flour [I used white, but I'm sure whole wheat would have been good]
  • 2 tsp baking powder
Combine cornmeal, salt and sugar. Stir in boiling water, cover and let stand 10 min. Meanwhile, beat together egg, milk and butter in one small bowl and mix together flour and baking powder in another. Add them to the cornmeal mixture. Cook on pan or griddle.


After pouring our first pancake we thought it was too runny, so we added flour, then we decided it was to thick and added milk, and in the end we think the original texture was probably just fine, but you are welcome to play around like we did to find the right thickness for you.
We decided to have waffles for dinner one night and I maintained that I did not have a reliable waffle recipe. Dang you Bryce and your '3 second pour of oil' crap! I went fishing on allrecipes.com. This is often where I go looking for recipes. The trick is that once you search for something, click "sort by rating." This way, you'll see all the recipes that everybody just loves. Another trick is to take a glance at the comments, for they often have useful tips for adjusting the recipe to be even better. After such a long intro, here is the recipe:

Whole Grain Waffles
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil [you can replace this with applesauce]
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup flax seed meal
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup white flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Mix dry and wet ingredients separately and then combine. Cook in waffle iron until waffles are crisp and golden brown.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Can't wait to grind some corn and try that pancake recipe!

James said...

You have the same grinder we do! Isn't it just whole grain joy in a bucket of grinding goodness?