15 February 2012

Not a recipe, just SALT

So, every time we make something by hand that normal people buy in cans, like canned tomatoes, or dry beans, I feel so unhealthy adding what seems like loads of salt to it to make it taste just the way I like. I like flavour—beautiful, intense, wonderful flavour, and salt is method numero uno for getting it in my world. Sometimes I even throw a bit of fleur de sel on fruit if I'm feeling sassy. Call me Grandpa Workman, but I am unashamed.

Tonight, we had meal that Liz brought home from a group "freezer meal-athon." Everyone walked away with 8 different meals. Yippee. Tonight's treat was, for lack of better explanation, a tortilla torte. It was like flat burritos all stacked up on each other, layered-cake style.. Whole wheat tortillas, ground turkey, canned tomatoes, refried beans, cheese. Nothing weird, just good solid, burrito stuff. We served it in wedged slices with sour cream. It was just fine, and I'd recommend it for a fun meal that looks like a cake but tastes like a burrito. You could even frost it with the sour cream if you wanted. I digress . . .

Six hours later, however, I am still trying to get more water into my system because I'm so dried out and thirsty from the salt in those canned goods. We use only our own canned tomatoes and we cook all our beans from dry, then flavour them ourselves, so it's been a good spell since we've used canned beans or veggies for almost anything. I haven't felt this salted up for a long, long time.

I think I'll not worry about adding salt to my food from now on. I'm not trying to make it last forever on a shelf, I'm just trying to coax a little extra deliciousness out of its hiding place.

Yeah, it's a weird post for a recipe blog. Whatever. Go boil some beans (and add a quartered onion, a few cloves of garlic, and a couple of  tablespoons of salt. You'll thank me later.)

2 comments:

Liz said...

When he says a couple of table spoons he means at least 1/4 C. :)

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.