26 March 2012

Black Bean Couscous Salad

We LOVED this recipe.  Justin liked it so much he had thirds.  I served it with garlic lemon tilapia and green beans.  It's a great way to eat beans, and you don't have to follow it exactly - I went with what I had

Black Bean and Couscous Salad
  • 1 cup uncooked couscous
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 3 TB olive oil
  • 2 TB lime juice [we used the juice of one lime]
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar [we used balsamic]
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 8 green onions, chopped [only had 4, but wouldn't be bad with 8!]
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped [omitted, and I actually think it'd be better to leave it out]
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed [omitted]
  • 2 cans black beans, drained [we heated them up before adding them, I liked that]
  • salt and pepper to taste
Bring chicken broth to a boil, stir in couscous, remove from heat and cover.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin.  Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn and beans and toss to coat.  Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks.  Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Sounds really good!

Liz said...

Just made this and LOVE it! The red peppers taste good to me and I only had one can of black beans but two would have been better. I did think it needed more lime and salt, though. Now I just want to gobble it up! Yum!!!