26 March 2012

Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup

Did you know that legumes (beans, peas and lentils) are the hardest hitters when it comes to fiber?  Not to mention you can pair them with whole grains or nuts to get complete protein.  I've been focussing on legumes lately to see how to work more of them into our diet.  Here is a recipe we tried tonight that I couldn't stop eating!  We served it over brown rice and it was fantastic.   I made quite a few substitutions, as noted.  In the end I wanted the flavor to be a bit stronger, so I sprinkled it with salt.  But you may consider adding a little more of the flavorings.

Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup

  • 1 TB peanut oil [we used sesame oil]
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 TB minced fresh ginger root
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 pinch fenugreek seeds [we used fresh minced celery leaves]
  • 1 cup dry red lentils
  • 1 cup butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cubed [we used zucchini]
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 can coconut milk
  • 2 TB tomato paste [I did 3 TB tomato sauce]
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat and sauté onion, ginger, garlic and fenugreek until onion is tender.  Mix in the lentils, squash and cilantro.  Stir in the water, coconut milk and tomato paste.  Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Hmmmmm....I have some butternut squash sitting on my counter...

Dad said...

WOW! I would really like to try this. Thank you for sharing.

James said...

I love coconut curries. Thanks for sharing this!