22 January 2013

Johnny Appleseed Cake

For all you healthy food fanatics out there.  Here is a delicious cake recipe, that can be made with whole wheat flour, no eggs. no sugar and no oil.  Enjoy!

2 c. applesauce
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. honey
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Blend all ingredients (I did it with a spoon in a bowl--no mixer mess involved).  If cake seems a little dry, add up to another 1/2 cup applesauce.  Pour into a pan greased on the bottom only.  Bake in 9 x 13 pan for 30 to 35 minutes.

I had this cake for breakfast this morning.  Why not?  Well, not the whole cake.  Anyway, ENJOY!

3 comments:

Michelle Packard said...

Oh...I love this stuff! Do you think I could replace the flour with a gluten free type?

Lynne said...

I sure would try it!

Jodi said...

I made this tonight and it was great!

It went well with a cream cheese frosting. Mine had:
8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp mexican vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
2-3 cups powdered sugar