13 June 2009

Chipotle Beef II

I originally posted this as a comment to the recipe below, but thought it would make a nice recipe (and story) all by itself.

So, I was craving Chipotle yesterday, so I thought it would make delightful party fare for our get together last night. Unfortunately, I forgot you posted the great recipe below and I went in search of a recipe online (Sorry, Dad!) I found one, bought the ingredients, and then realized that the directions were horrible, so I freaked out. While I was online I saw your recipe posted (again!) and used it as the basis for my new hybrid of chipotle beef. It saved us all, so many thanks, Dad, even though I forgot about your original post! I do feel bad, but there's nothing I can do now. So, our hybrid was the same, but with a can each of green chiles, beef broth and diced tomatoes. It was really juicy, and I think Justin will be sick for a week after what he ate (even though Jodi tried to stop him!) We used a 3 pound roast, and it was a bit spicy as Mom mentioned, but we ate it up anyway. I think for the kids you could reduce the Chipotle peppers to 1/2 or 2/3 can. So here's the one I used:

Crock Pot Chipotle Beef
  • 3-5 pound roast
  • 1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1-14 oz can beef broth
  • 1 small can diced chiles
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
Rinse and dry roast, then place in crockpot. Pour tomatoes and broth over the roast. Combine remaining ingredients, then pour over the top of the roast. [My recipe said to keep it all on top of the roast, but I'm not sure if that's important or not given how I prepared it.] Cook on low 12 hours or high for 8 hours. [I used a combination of the two as I checked it and freaked out about it being done on time, etc., etc.] When the roast is shreddable, removing it from the pot and shred it completely. Give the ingredients in the pot a stir, then return the meat to the pot and continue cooking until you're ready to serve it. [I let it stew another 1 1/2-2 hours and it was juicy, flavorful, and divine! I don't think it would have been quite as luscious if I hadn't let it stew in the liquid after shredding.]

I served it alongside homemade tortillas, spiced black beans, sauteed peppers and zucchini, and plenty of sour cream to cut the spice! Again, Dad, sorry I neglected the recipe you so generously posted. I promise to use it next time!

No comments: