04 June 2009

My Mom's M&M Cookies

These (we think) are the cookies my mom used to make for us when we were little. They are by far my favorite kind of cookie ever, and I insist that the same recipe with chocolate chips substituted is not as good (but there is considerable debate on that topic, so feel free to try that if you want :). When she would make them, I would usually eat about 6 right in a row, until I had to stop because I felt sick.

M&M Cookies

  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (not spread), softened
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (12-oz) (1-3/4 cups) M&M® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bits

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in flour mixture. Stir in M&M’s bits.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls about 2-in apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350* for 9 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute in pan.

Hint: For chewy cookies, begin checking cookies for doneness at ~ 8 minutes and for beginning brownness.

No comments: