04 June 2009

Turkey Chili

I stumbled upon this recipe by accident. I started making taco soup by cooking 1 lb of ground turkey, and then realized I hadn't pre-soaked the dry beans that I needed to make the soup. So, I searched some recipes for what to do with 1 lb of ground turkey. I came across this recipe on Creative Homemaking and found we happened to have all of the ingredients, so I made it and it turned out great! Justin and I loved it so much we suggested it to Michelle and James as they put together the menu for the week. We had it together and everyone liked it (well, except for some of the kids). Give it a try! It's very healthy as well!
Turkey Chili
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced [we found that thickly sliced is pretty good too]
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes [we used diced, and it seemed just fine]
  • 1 15-oz. can of black beans, drained
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 can corn (optional) [I don't think you'll want to leave it out, the color of the corn makes it visually appealing]
In a large soup pan, cook onion, pepper, celery, and turkey in oil until turkey is cooked through. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans, and oregano, and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serves 6.

1 comment:

James said...

Um, we had this the other night and it's AMAZING! Thanks, jodi!