19 July 2010

Easy Curry

I must admit something to you all. I'm scared to death of James' recipes that look complicated. When there's a long ingredient list chock-full of ingredients I'm not sure I've ever heard of, my stomach cramps up and I think to myself "oh gee, I'll never be able to make that...it looks lovely though..." So, for anyone else that's ever felt that, here's a curry you can handle.

Easy Curry
  • 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices, quartered
  • 2 medium onions, cut into 1/4 inch wedges
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • strips of chicken (any amount, optional)
  • 1 can coconut milk (the thick kind, if possible)
  • curry powder
  • sugar
  • salt
  • cornstarch and cold water
Place vegetables (and chicken) in large pot with barely enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and boil until vegetables are about 80% eatable softness. Drain a small amount of water (just enough to not completely cover the vegetables anymore). Add the coconut milk and sprinkle 3 parts curry powder, 2 parts sugar and 1 part salt (I usually prepare the proportions ahead of time in a small bowl) until it tastes as strong as you want it to. When it tastes right to you, thicken with cornstarch mixture. Serve over cooked rice.

2 comments:

James said...

Should I be offended? :)

Jodi said...

No! I think you're an amazing chef and I'm just not up to your par. I probably never will be.