16 July 2010

POPCORN on steroids

This post is about an experiment that I need y'all's cooking expertise to perfect!
Yummy Popcorn
  • Popped popcorn
  • Chocolate, melted
  • Peanut butter, melted
  • Peanuts, chopped
  • salt
Pop popcorn using an air popper. Spread into jelly roll pans. Drizzle chocolate and peanut butter. Sprinkle peanuts. Sprinkle salt. Eat.

Commentary:
I melted an unsweetened baking chocolate cube and added butter, sugar and corn syrup. It would have worked better if I hadn't allowed it to come to a boil as many times as it did during the melting process. As it was, it hardened into a stiff gel upon pouring, and we were required to eat it from the pan, instead of putting it in a bowl.

I melted the peanut butter in the microwave. I had a bit of trouble with it: I wanted it runnier, so I put it in the microwave again which made it too hard, so I added water and it made it worse, so I added honey and it still didn't work out. So, I put it in a zip lock bag, cut off the tip and squeezed it on. I would recommend adding the honey, it was yummy, but I'd skip all of the hassle of trying to make it runny enough and put it in a zip lock bag right after the first microwaving.

I'd really like to figure out a way for the chocolate to stay looser, for the peanut butter to harden slightly, and for the nuts to stick better. If you have any advice on the matter, do say.

4 comments:

James said...

I love steroidal popcorn. My advice:

Add shortening or lard to the chocolate to keep it soft after melting. The more you add, the softer it will be after cooling.

For the peanut butter try powdered sugar; it helps things to stay a little stiffer when cooled. You could also use meringue powder, I suppose, but no one ever has that. I don't how either of those would affect pourablity, but I suppose if you melted it, it should work.

For the nuts (and I meant to tell you this when we chatted, so SORRY!) chop them and mix them into the chocolate before pouring. That way they're covered in sticky chocolate.

We'll definitely have to try this some time. YUM!

Heather said...

We actually have meringue powder. We are nerds. Joe uses it for cakes. It hardens kind of fast I think, so I would be careful. You could just mix the peanut butter with the chocolate after melting. Like no bake cookies.

Jodi said...

Thanks guys! Dually noted. These are all things I can try and will try.

No bake cookies were my inspiration for the chocolate. I think I want to keep the chocolate and peanut butter separate though, it just looks so amazing that way.

Mom said...

And, it truly tasted amazing! I love that Jodi likes to make us treats! She randomly brings us smoothies or popcorn or anything...don't you wish you had a Jodi?